Frequently Asked Questions

How long do cases normally take?

Every case is different and it is extremely hard to determine how long a case is going to take without knowing all the facts surrounding the case. Therefore, no one can truly tell you how long it is going to take. However, a personal injury attorney or criminal defense attorney at The Peper Law Firm will perform a full evaluation of your personal injury or criminal defense case and discuss all the factors involved in efficiently closing the matter as soon as practicably possible.

Can I pursue a wrongful death claim?

If a loved one has been killed due to the negligent or reckless conduct of another, then you may be entitled to a claim for wrongful death against that individual. In most circumstances, wrongful death claims are limited to the immediate family of the deceased, however there are exceptions. If you have lost a loved one by the actions of another, you should contact one of our wrongful death attorneys for a free wrongful death case evaluation.

Who pays for my car repairs, medical bills, and pain and suffering after my car accident?

In most cases, the owner of the car that caused your injuries is primarily responsible, then the driver of the car that injured you.  The key is getting to a personal injury attorney that can start a claim on your behalf and get you treatment for your injuries immediately after the accident.  If for some reason the at-fault party did not have car insurance, your uninsured coverage may reimburse your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.  If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, you should contact one of our auto accident attorneys for a free personal injury case evaluation.

If a drunk driver hits me, who do I sue?

First and foremost, the person who made the decision to drink and drive is primarily liable.  Additionally, the venue, bar or restaurant may be liable for over serving the individual under South Carolina dram shop liability laws.  If you or a loved one has been the victim of a drunk driving accident, please contact one of our drunk driving accident attorneys at The Peper Law Firm, PA for a free case evaluation.

Who pays all of my medical bills?

When you are injured in an accident, medical bills can pile up quickly.  While the case is pending against the individual that caused your injuries, you may be responsible for paying them.  At The Peper Law Firm, PA, however, we have relationships with local providers that will agree to treat your injuries on our promise to protect their bill until the case is over.  This enables our clients to get back to 100% as quickly as possible without having to worry about the mounting medical bills.   If you or a loved one has been injured in a collision, you should contact one of our personal injury attorneys for a free personal injury case evaluation.

If I am injured at work, is my employer liable?

If you were following your companies’ policies and procedures when injured, chances are the employer should pay for your injuries and lost wages through their workers’ compensation coverage. South Carolina Workers’ Comp laws are complicated, and you can be assured that your employer will try to pay as little as possible.  If you or a loved one has been injured on the job, you should contact a Charleston workers’ comp attorney for a free workers’ compensation case evaluation.

If I was attacked by a dog, is the owner liable?

In short, yes.  Under South Carolina law, dog owners are held strictly liable for the damages that their pets may cause others to suffer. This means that, regardless of whether or not the owner had prior knowledge that their dog might have dangerous or aggressive tendencies, they will be held liable for the injuries suffered by others in the event of a bite or attack. There are, however, certain exceptions to this rule: owners are not held liable if the person whom their animal attacked was trespassing on private property, or if the attack victim provoked the dog into attacking.  Damages can be high in dog bite cases, so you should contact The Peper Law Firm, P.A. personal injury attorneys for a free case evaluation if you are attacked by a dog or other animal.

What’s the first thing I should do if I get arrested?

First and foremost, be respectful to the officer even if he or she is wrong.  Second, know your rights and exercise them, the most important of which is your right to remain silent.  Simply tell the officer that you would like to have your Charleston criminal defense lawyer from The Peper Law Firm, PA present before you answer any questions.

Do I need a Criminal Defense Lawyer if I’m innocent?

The fact that you have been arrested means that at least one officer and one Judge has found probable cause to believe you committed a crime, thus you should always seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney, even if you know you are innocent.  One of our Charleston criminal defense attorneys at The Peper Law Firm, PA will make sure your rights are protected and justice is served.  Additionally, we can evaluate your case to see if you have a cause of action for False Arrest and/or Malicious Prosecution.

What happens when my charges are dismissed?

Upon your case being dismissed, our Firm can help you get the actual arrest expunged from your criminal record, including all mugshots and booking information.  We can also evaluate your case to see if you have a cause of action for False Arrest and/or Malicious Prosecution.

If I’m pulled over and accused of Driving Under the Influence, do I have to take the field sobriety tests?

You have the right to refuse to participate in the field sobriety tests, although doing so will most likely cause you to be arrested on suspicion of DUI.  If you have been drinking, we highly recommend that you politely and respectfully refuse to take any field sobriety tests, as they are extremely subjective in nature.

If I’m arrested for DUI, should I take the breathalyzer test?

As a general rule of thumb, you want to limit the evidence that can be used against you at trial.  You have the right to refuse the breath test, and the arresting officer is required to inform you of that fact.  However, if you refuse to blow, your license will be immediately suspended for six months.  Our Charleston criminal defense attorneys will do our best to help you obtain a temporary alcohol license during the suspension period.

What penalties come with a DUI conviction?

If you are convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs and/or alcohol in South Carolina, you are subject to potential prison time and the loss of your driving privileges, to include the installation of an ignition interlock device.

What is an Interlock Ignition Device?

A device that attaches to your vehicle’s ignition system to test your BAC before you start the car. Depending on your circumstance, the court may order you to have one placed on your vehicle upon conviction.